Diwali is the Festival of Lights observed by several religions: Hindu, Sikh, Jain and some Buddhist countries. Diwali (or Deepavali) is on 12 November in 2023. SBS Learn provides resources for schools to celebrate the Festival of Lights and develop a greater understanding about the countries and cultures who celebrate this wonderful occasion! With step-by-step video instructions available in 7 languages other than English including Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Tamil, Malayalam, Bangla, and Nepali.
This resource provides teachers and students with the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of the South Asian cultural celebration Diwali/Deepavali. It includes:
- Information on understanding cultural knowledge around Diwali /Deepavali: the celebration, cultures, countries and those who celebrate;
- Inclusive activities to reflect the cross-cultural connections which define the spirit of Diwali/Deepavali;
- Practical activities for The Arts from Foundation to Year 10;
- A list of materials to create your own artwork of a kolam/rangoli at school;
- A video step-by-step guide making your own kolam/rangoli;
- A video available in 8 languages, including: Hindi, Punjabi, Gujarati, Tamil, Malayalam, Bangla, Nepali and English;
- Further resources to build more in-depth lesson plans.
Foundation to Year 10: Mathematics, English, The Arts, Languages.
Download Resource (PDF)