Why do we get old, get ill and die? How can we escape from suffering? The story of how Prince Siddhartha Gautama left a life of luxury to embark on a search for the answers, and how he eventually became the Buddha – the Enlightened One. Watch The Enlightenment Of The Buddha and learn this important story of the founder of Buddhism.
The founder of Buddhism is known as The Buddha. He lived a long time ago in the north of India, what is now Pakistan. Watch and learn about the important parts of the life of the one called Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama.
- What does it mean to be “enlightened?”
- The Buddha realised that the answer to suffering was to stop wanting. Would you feel happier if you stopped wanting things: possessions, ambitions, popularity, a luxurious lifestyle? Why or why not?
- Mara says that there is “no point to life: all that happens is that you get old, get ill and die”. What gives meaning to people’s lives? What gives meaning to your life?!
- Siddhartha was kept from seeing suffering so he did not feel the need for religion. Does religious faith help people to cope with suffering? Or do you think suffering drives people away from religion?
- Find out about the Three Universal Truths – Anicca, Anatta and Dukka, and how the Buddha’s Four Noble Truths deal with them.
- Investigate the Noble Eightfold Path. Write a list of the values you think are important in life.
- Now look at the Five Precepts: what rules would you make to help people keep the values you think are important?
- Try a meditation with your class! Various methods can be found online, try a breathing exercise, or a “guided meditation” that will get your students visualising a journey in their heads.
See 16 types of Mediation, Headspace
Keywords for this topic:
faith, story, suffering, Buddhism, fasting, Buddha, meditation, middle way, wheel of life, dharma, Siddhartha Gautama, Mara, enlightenment
Download: The Enlightenment of the Buddha