The aim of the Stage 6 Studies of Religion syllabus is to promote an understanding and critical awareness of the nature and significance of religion and the influence of belief systems and religious traditions on individuals and within society.
Knowledge, understanding and skills
Students will develop knowledge and understanding about:
- the nature of religion and belief systems in local and global contexts
- the influence and expression of religion and belief systems in Australia
- religious traditions and their adherents
and skills relating to:
- effective gathering, analysing and synthesising of information about religion
- effective evaluation and application of findings from research about religion
- communication of complex information, ideas and issues in appropriate forms to different audiences and in different contexts.
Values and attitudes
Students will value and appreciate:
- ethical and socially responsible behaviours which are brought about through empathy for, and acceptance of, religious diversity
- fundamental rights of religious believers, rules and laws that promote fairness, justice and equality in society.
New school-based assessment materials commencing 2018
The syllabus and HSC Examination Specifications for Studies of Religion I have not changed.
New school-based assessment requirements will apply for Year 11 from 2018 and for Year 12 from Term 4, 2018.
View the new Assessment and Reporting in Studies of Religion I Stage 6 (July 2017).
Read about the changes to Stage 6 assessment requirements.
Sample Assessment Schedules (from 2018)
Sydney Catholic Schools
Studies of Religion is a challenging and an increasingly complex area of study. This page lists some of the resources that may assist teachers and students in achieving the outcomes of the Studies of Religion Syllabus.
Some presenters have made their presentations available to all HSC students. All presentations available accessed by schools, via RE Online can be used with permission of the author, as part of the National Education Access Licence for Schools (NEALS).
Explore the Sydney Catholic Schools Studies of Religion Resources (covers BOSTES Curriculum)